The Roth Quartet was founded by Feri Roth in Budapest in 1922. The group enjoyed a successful début in Paris in 1924, then set off on a tour of Europe and Africa, and re-organised into the line-up featured on this CD in 1928. On an invitation from Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge they undertook their first trip to the USA, at the Pittsfield (Massachusetts) Music Festival, following which they toured the USA, Canada and Mexico. Soon afterwards, because of the rise of fascism in Europe, they became permanent US residents. They gave concerts at the Library of Congress, and introduced many modern works to American audiences at concerts in New York and Washington. In 1937 the Roths joined the faculty of Westminster Choir College, Princeton University, New Jersey. However in 1939 the group was disbanded and re-formed by Feri Roth.